This workshop provides you with an introduction to LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT, a popular programmable robotics kit. The workshop introduces basic mechanical design with NXT (Lego NXT parts and blocks, gearing, driving mechanisms, lifting mechanisms), some simple sensors along with basic programming (sensor control, motion control). Like most of our workshops, you will be having a hands-on experience dealing with the most amazing building set in the world. Students will work in groups of 2, testing their design and programming skills throughout the workshop. At the end, you will be asked to pass a not-so-easy Challenge!
- To have a basic idea about the LEGO Mindstorms NXT robotics kit and NXT-G software
- To build a basic robot design using the appropriate motors,gears,sensors,etc
- To be introduced to many types of sensors and the way they function such as light sensor , touch sensor , ultrasonic sensor and rotation sensor
- To know how to build a mechanism (driving and lifting) to achieve a certain goal using Lego parts available in the kit
- To apply basic engineering knowledge to analyze designs
- To learn the basic programming skills using NXT-G software such as loops, if statements, switch statements and sensors blocks
This is an introductory level workshop, and will not assume prior knowledge of anything beyond what’s given in school. It will be a self-contained workshop for the most part.
Lego Mindstorms NXT kits (will be provided), NXT-G software (will be provided)